Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers


I have debated whether or not to blog about yesterday and have come to the conclusion that I need to. A friend called us yesterday to go to the pool. I have avoided the pool this summer because Maya and Melody are both very adventurous and when they decide to go different directions I can't keep up. Add the dangers of a pool and it's too much. Well I decided that with another adult there I would give it another try. Maya likes to stay inside her swim ring and I hold Melody most of the time even though she tries to squirm loose.

Before I had children I had quite a few opinions. "How could that mother let her child out of her sight long enough for that to happen???" was one of them. This was before I had Maya. I was staying on top of her behavior. I really was. She would try to jump in before announcing to anyone that she was going to jump to them and I caught her. Over and over I said "Maya, you have to stay by Mom and you have to tell me when you're going to jump in!"

We wandered over to the baby pool to give me a break from holding Melody. I swear I took my eyes off Maya for only a moment. I assumed she was getting a drink from the table or was harassing Morgan. It wasn't until I heard a voice scream "Who's child is this???" that I noticed that Maya had jumped into the big pool and had been fished out by some poor woman who was fully clothed. What a horrible feeling. What would have happened if she wasn't there? All I could do was cry and thank her.

Last night Morgan did the lesson for family home evening and ironically she chose the parable of the good samaritan. I'm so grateful for the one who was watching out for my daughter.

4 comments:

Jan said...

It's so hard to be the parent and need to be in 20 places at once. That's why we are here -- to take care of each other. I'm so thankful that Maya was OK and that the lady was there to help. No doubt next time it will be you that has to help someone else. And good lesson choice for Morgan!

tiburon said...

I have learned more and more that you have to rely on others and as much as it pains me to reference a Clinton - it really does take a village to raise a child. Kids are fast and wiley. I am glad someone saw Maya and there wasn't a tragedy - that is the silver lining. Morgan is such a compassionate girl!

Unknown said...

ooh, i totally have goosebumps. i hate those mama moments that we all, unfortunately, have. i'm so happy she's okay.

-Melissa- said...

Being a parent is never an easy job. I am glad there are people in the world who care and help. What a scary moment. I am glad Maya is OK.