Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lesson from Nola




I have heard a story about Spencer W. Kimball many times and how he comforted a woman in an airport when no one else would. I always want to be the kind of person who picks up on those situations and lends a helping hand.

There is a woman who I used to attend church with. She is one of those people you aspire to be like... she has 6 daughters, is active with all forms of service, is always kind and is obviously living her life to the fullest. I ran into her at the store tonight and talked to her very briefly. I saw her again at the check out.

There was a woman who had a screaming child. I've been that woman. We've all seen that woman. The little boy was obviously tired. Everyone was staring at her and making comments under their breath. I was racking my brain trying to think of a way to at least let her know that I understood and wasn't judging her when I see Nola out of the corner of my eye, handing the little boy a small compact mirror to play with. He suddenly got quiet and his mother was able to get her groceries and leave the store. Nola patted her shoulder understandingly and told her that he was tired and she understood. The woman's look of relief was amazing. The next time that happens, I plan to follow Nola's example.

3 comments:

Jan said...

It's amazing when you see an example like that -- that's the person I want to be too.

tiburon said...

What a great example. I want to be her too :)

Unknown said...

that's a great sotry and a great reminder for all of us. thanks!