Friday, March 21, 2008

Poetry Revisted



When I was at Texas Tech University I took a creative writing class. My sister Sarah, my friend Christine and I came up with some beauties for the poetry units. I so wish that I could find my files of poetry which were composed by a trio of crazy young ladies hopped up on easy cheese and redi whip. Alas, I was too much in a hurry to marry a certain Scottish Lad (see post below) to keep such items. So, for your viewing pleasure, (and mostly Sarah's benefit) - I will post a rewritten poem with some original content mixed in.


The Ballad of Creative Poetry

The prof wants us to write a verse.
To me this seems to be a curse.
What do I write? I don't quite know..
I'd love to write like E.A. Poe.

Instead I write of precious things;
My mother's books, my sister's rings,
A brother who is far from home,
A sleepless night, a shoddy poem.

3 comments:

Adam said...

I'm not very good at interpreting poetry, but I think I've got this ---

distance from your brother = precious?

;)

tiburon said...

My hubby is brilliant. Almost as brilliant as your poetry.

. . . . . . . . . said...

This was so much fun. Damn light. And your easily won professor and his adoration of the word shoddy. Thank you Roget's Thesaurus. Too funny! I've looked and looked and looked for backup files of those poems. It kills me that I have never been able to find them. On the other hand, I'm glad that Scottish lad won your heart like he did. He's been a keeper from the start.