Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Count Your Many Blessings, Name Them One by One



For those of you who aren't LDS these lyrics might not mean much to you but I found myself singing them this morning as we were getting ready. (That didn't change the fact that this morning was CRAZY hectic, but still...)

Yesterday I had an appointment with a wonderful orthopedic surgeon. I was there for a long time and was evaluated thoroughly. My amazing friend Jessica and my dear husband managed the kids while i spent nearly all day in downtown Dallas. The topic being addressed was what to do with my increased left hip pain. I went in to the appointment optomistically, thinking that I might need a hip replacement but that in itself might be a blessing.

The appointment didn't go as well as I had hoped.. I need to go back for a CT scan of my hip to determine if I am even a candidate for that type of procedure. I am not sure there are many options for me if I can't get the joint replaced but in general the answers were not what I had expected. The doctor was so sensitive to my position and tactfully (and lovingly, truth be told) that I would need to start making adjustments instead of adjusting my body to do things that are difficult.

I started taking naprosyn last night and this morning. I went and got a handicapped parking tag from the tax office yesterday. I bought a grabber-stick to help me pick things up off the floor. I got myself an aid to help put my socks on for days that it is difficult. I need to start considering water exercises.

Now I can't say that this news that I will have somewhat of a struggle is easy to hear. However, I was thinking this morning of my blessings so here they are..

1. My amazing surprise-miracle baby came before all of this began. (and the other two before her!) I was able to carry her, deliver her and take care of her as a newborn. As my problems become more difficult, she will get bigger and more independent. I can't imagine my life without Melody. I can't thank the Lord enough for this amazing miracle.

2. Handicapped stickers ROCK!! Do you see how close to the door you are?!! Eat your heart out people! (especially around Christmas! LOL!)

3. My husband (for some reason) expected this sort of future for me and loves me anyways. I can't help but wonder why the Lord gave him a wife who will be so high maintenance but I have no words to express how loved I feel when I think of it. His example of unconditional love is astounding.

4. Members of my family (and good friends) are so close and so willing to be of help when I need them. I had a wonderful visit with my parents this weekend and I am so proud to be their daughter.

5. Physical Afflictions are temporary. I know that when I live with my Heavenly Father again that all of this will be a distant memory and that my body will be perfected. Amazing.

6. I found an amazing physician who is honest and open with me but so full of knowledge that I know I am in good hands and will get the best care possible. I am so grateful to have found him and hope that he is around for a long, long time.

I know there are so many more but these are the ones that stick out in my mind right now. (plus the miracle child is demanding attention! lol!)

I am so blessed and I want to remember that every day, even when things are hard.

11 comments:

Chris and Tara Mason said...

You are so amazing! What a great attitude you have! Thank you for being such a wonderful example! And, if you ever need any help, Chris and I are not too far away! :)

Lori said...

I'm sorry the appointment didn't go as well as you had hoped. You have a great attitude though, and you are right, you have lots of good friends who would do anything for you, and you know you can always count on Ron and I. You receive blessings because you are a blessing to others my friend. :)

Melinda said...

Gosh, I'm sorry that your Dr.'s appointment didn't go as well as you would have liked. Life kind of sucks sometimes, and it's hard to think of the good things. Good for you for counting your blessings! If you ever need any help, just call, I'm like only 30 seconds away! Oh, and we need to do our visiting teaching this month!

Me, Myself, and I said...

I love you, Becca. You are a really cool person and always have been. You've always made me feel comfortable and loved. You are a good mother and wife. You've been a great example for me all of the way. No matter what happens to your body, none of that will ever change. You can count on me to help any way I can.

Now that I've sucked up a bit ... can I borrow that hang tag? :)

hoLLy said...

i admire you so much girl! i can't imagine what you are going through, i whine when i have a headache:), but to have such a positive outlook on everything despite the trials you are going through is amazing. i hope things get better for you soon. you do have 3 beautiful little blessings-your little girls. they are adorable.

-Melissa- said...

Rebecca-You rock!! You have such a wonderful attitude. I hope some the changes you make will help you feel better.

tiburon said...

Rebecca - that just sucks! I am sorry that it wasn't the best appt. I wish we were closer and could help out. You are keeping a great attitude about it :)

. . . . . . . . . said...

Dearest Bec,
I love you so much. I'm so sorry about all of this. I have to say, I think you have the BEST attitude. Besides, with that cute little butt of yours, you're all sass and sexy! Last night I was thinking about growing up with you and the many many trials you had because of your hips and knee, and I got pretty upset because you've had to deal with so much. But one think I also remembered is how super strong you've always been. I've always been so proud of your strength. And Nathan is such an awesome complement to the incredible woman you are. Thank goodness for surprises and three gorgeous little girls. They're so lucky that you're their mama. I have to close by echoing what Lori said. You receive blessings because you are a blessing. You're a blessing I wouldn't want to have experienced this life without.

Suzanne Rudder said...

I'm happy to hear you found a doctor to help you and sounds like you found a great one at that!!!!

Jan said...

Becca -- this is not the great news I had hoped to hear either. But you are amazing. I have always loved you -- I think being around when you were born so early and were so tiny really made you 'mine' in a way. I love your attitude and outlook -- you are blessed, but you are also a great blessing to those of us who know you. Love you!

Unknown said...

you are amazing and optimistic! what a great way to look at your trials. thanks for sharing. i'm sorry things didn't go as you might have hoped. but i'm super impressed at how you're handling it.

ps - can i borrow your sticker when i go to the mall in december? har har.