Tuesday, January 29, 2008

We all have our stuff.



Man I've been frustrated lately. I'm getting over it because no good ever comes from feeling sorry for yourself but boy howdy I'm ready to scream sometimes.


A little background... I was born with a disorder called arthrogryposis or AMC (arthrogryposis multiplex congenita). For the layman, I have severe limited flexibility in both hips and my right knee. Now normally I don't even really notice it. I have always adapted to doing things my own way. I still exercise pretty heavily and only notice when I've done a lot of walking. However, lately my left hip has been KILLING me!


Soooo... I called around today to find a good orthopedist. As much as I hate to admit it, i may be in the market for a hip replacement sooner rather than later. I found what I thought was going to be a good doc.


Here's the conversation with his nurse:

Me: "Hi, I'd like to make an appointment"

Her: "You do realize that dr. so-and-so only deals with total knee and hip replacements?"

Me: "Yes I read that but I was wondering.. I have arthrogryposis... does this doctor deal with that?"

Her: "Arthro-what? I'll ask the doctor tomorrow when he's in the office but in all my 25 years in orthopedics I have never heard of that?

Me: "Really? It's also referred to as AMC.."

Her: "Nope but I'll ask him and call you back tomorrow.. and by the way the first available new patient appointment is in April."

Bite me.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

aargh!!! that sucks. probably not the doctor you want to see. fingers crossed you find a good one!!!

. . . . . . . . . said...

Aw, Bec. I'm sorry. I swear that the office staff in most doctors' offices just stink! Here's prayin' tomorrow unearths someone awesome.

tiburon said...

That is absolutely ridiculous! I can't believe that. I hope the nurse has better news when she calls back.

Melinda said...

Grrrr! I just hate going to the doctor! Dealing with all that stuff drives me nuts! Good luck!

Lori said...

That bites. I'm seriously unimpressed with the quality of the office staff of most of the doctors/dentists I've encountered lately. I hope you can find a good one!

Jan said...

That totally sucks for sure. I agree -- maybe not your choice for a doc!! Keep us posted -- and we'll get the prayers going.

Me, Myself, and I said...

Bite me indeed. Geez. Even if you don't know something, there's no reason to be a pain in the butt about it. Lemme know who/where and I'll go kick some hiney.

hoLLy said...

what a punk she was on the phone! go beat her up. :)

sorry you have been in pain lately, sounds like no fun at all:(